off topic - install directory for apps

Have been assemling my first 'built' computer. Using Xp, made an 8gig
partition for XP & C:\ only.

Started loading applications onto E:\  Now, without everything loaded,
I've been told that this could cause problems, especially with
upgrades etc later on.

Have I run a muck, or is this ok ?

One of the apps is an Aus charting program which has a typical install
of alphabetic folders within its app folder for data (inc. ticks),
which gets quite big. So I thought; best out of the C:\ partition.

Also, late at night, I loaded Office97 straight off E:\ (should have
at least gone to E:\Programs folder\). While this is currently running
well, will it become a problem ?

Thanks

--
Best regards,