Re: off topic - install directory for apps

No, you should be fine.

I have many partitions on my hard drives.  WinXP is the only software on the
C: partiton.  Application software and data goes on different partitions.  I
put my general data on D:, and misc apps in E:, and Ts2k in F: etc etc.  I
have never had a single problem organizing my software like this including
upgrades and my computers always work efficiently.

It is an excellent idea not to jam everything into one partition or one
directory because it permits you to quickly defrag your separate partitions
and maintain them in a defragmented state.    I run Diskeeper continuously
for this purpose.  And you can also find your files easier without digging
into a multi-layered directory tree.

Installing applications directly off the root is the way to go.  For example
Office should be in E:\Office\.  Using Microsoft's bizzare method C:\Program
Files\Office makes no sense whatsoever.  What good is the Program Files
part - just adds another layer to the directory tree but does nothing to
physically separate the different kinds of software into partitions which
does have a material advantage.

Regards

Bill Wood
Fountain Hills, AZ