Re: off topic - install directory for apps

   Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:08:10 +1000
   From: jon <jonmac@xxxxxxxxxxx>

   Have been assemling my first 'built' computer. Using Xp, made an 8gig
   partition for XP & C:\ only.

   Started loading applications onto E:\  Now, without everything loaded,
   I've been told that this could cause problems, especially with
   upgrades etc later on.

   Have I run a muck, or is this ok ?

It's OK for "well-written" applications, i.e. those whose authors
considered the possibility of non C: installs or made use of some
windows lib granting that ability.  I did this long ago (win95),
worked fine for awhile {as I recall, I actually had 3 different C:
partitions depending on what I selected at boottime with a common D:
drive}, then I ran into some snag (forgotten) and ended up
reinstalling.  With the monster drives around nowdays, everybody
pretty much has only a C: drive.  XP has disk migration features that
may allow you a graceful recovery, as it is better to follow the herd.