  From: Owen Davies
  To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx ; Stewart Taylor
  Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2000 11:51 AM
  Subject: Re: Off Subject (Sort of) Looking for notebook recommendation

  Stewart Taylor asked us to recommendation good laptops.

  Sorry, I can't do it.  But I can recommend against one widely
  available brand:  Whatever you do, don't get a Compaq.
  Unless things have changed since I last looked, and I doubt
  that a whole lot, their proprietary add-ons to Windows are
  buggy as all get-out, and there is no way to run the machine
  without them.  On some models, also, (including the one
  I made the mistake of buying) it's impossible to fix any of the
  cumulative problems without reinstalling the entire system,
  destroying all your programs and data files.  While using the
  thing pretty much constantly, I had to strip it down the the bare
  drive and start again three times in the first six months -- and
  I've heard of worse records.

  In fairness, I have to admit that as a once-in-a-while, Word-
  and-IE-while-on-a-trip machine, it isn't too bad.  Then again,
  few computers are too bad if you hardly ever use them.

  As for the Dell, see if you can lay hands on one before buying.
  I used one for a week or so in someone else's office and found
  that the touchpad wasn't recessed enough to get it out of my
  way.  Whenever my attention wandered to my work, rather than
  to controlling my thumbs, the cursor ran all over the screen.
  Other folks have found this less of a problem, but I couldn't adapt
  to it.

  Owen Davies