Off Subject (Sort of) Looking for notebook recommendation

I'm hoping that some of you might offer some guidance or a recommendation.
I need to purchase a new notebook. It will be used for basic word
processing, desktop publishing, and spreadsheet junk and will need to act
as a backup to a desk top that runs TS2K realtime.

If the desktop goes down and the notebook is pressed into service, it would
only be long enough to bring the desktop back to life and should only need
to collect 20-30 symbols (at most).  I want to be able to run TS2K End of
Day when I travel.  When I travel, at most I will need 10-15 eod symbols. I
don't run big systems.

I am nervous about lugging thousands of dollars of fragile laptop around
with me and don't really want to spend that much for a laptop when I
already have three desk tops sitting around.

I am considering a Dell Inspiron 5000: Cost approx. 2500.00, Pentium 3,
600mz, with 128MB SD Ram, 8 MBTS of Video Memory.

I guess it boils down to,

Is the extra money spent for a Dell worth it, or would I be just as well
off to spend less on a Toshiba or something similar?

Am I considering too much computer or not enough computer?

Any help (including brand recommendations) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stewart.

Stewart Taylor
Taylor Fixed Income Outlook