RE: TS2K - works

Ullrich Fischer <uf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Unlike some of the snobs on this list, I don't automatically
> dismiss the intelligence of someone who once worked at
> MacDonald's.  A lot of very bright students do that and go on to
> greater things.  I don't see anything wrong or inferior about
> taking an entry level job when you're starting out in life.    -uf

There's nothing wrong or shameful about taking an entry-level job.
You have to start somewhere, and I'm sure many current and former
McD's employees are bright people who go on to great things.

However there **IS** something wrong with hiring a company hiring
unqualified entry-level people for a highly technical position.

People in tech support (for ANY computer product) should be computer
literate and very good at problem solving.  For a specialized product
like TS they should also have at least rudimentary experience with
trading.  Without that basic understanding of the fundamentals, they
can do little more than act as "answering machines" -- write down the
problem and try to go find someone who knows the product, and hope
they didn't garble the message in the process.

Many years ago I did technical support for Hewlett Packard.  If we
had hired kids whose only prior computer experience was running the
cash register at McDonald's, our customers would have (justifiably)
crucified us.

Gary