RE: TS2K - works

> It is a bit of a leap to go from "last job was at McDonald's" to
> "no computer expertise".

I would feel reasonably safe in assuming that the number of computer-
savvy people working behind the counter at McDonald's is a pretty
small percentage.  Not zero, of course, since a lot of teenagers
these days are way more techno-literate than their parents were after
4 years of college, but there is usually a *reason* why those hard-
working folks would accept a minimum-wage job flipping burgers.  If
they had any significant computer skills, they could command a lot
higher salary, and they probably would.

(And who knows, maybe that's exactly what happened with the former
McD's employee in question!  Stranger things have happened.)

> It is possible to work at McDonald's and take courses
> to get computer skills.

That is absolutely true.  It's also possible to attend a 4-5 year
college CS program and come out with very few real-world computer
skills.  For that matter it's possible to win the lottery.

So what's your point?  Why are you so upset about this specific
McDonald's example?

I think the McD references were fairly clear:  if a person's previous
employment experience was "hamburger vendor," they almost certainly
have little prior computer experience, and ZERO prior support or
other technical problem-solving background.  Which makes one question
Omega's hiring practices.  Even in a tight job market, there are
qualified people out there.  One might think Omega was more concerned
about how much they had to pay their support people than about the
quality of support they provide to their customers.

Yes, it's certainly possible that the "former McD's employee" that
started this whole thing was also attending night school to get his
PhD in advanced nuclear physics and software support.  But I'd say
that's rather unlikely.  It's much more likely that Omega has hired a
few sorely under-experienced people for a fairly important position.

In any case, the original rant was that the person in question
appeared to be pretty clueless and was unable to provide any help.
THAT was the core of the complaint, NOT the fact that they hired him
from McD's.  The McD's reference was just a particularly vivid (and
supposedly true) illustration of the apparent lack of experience in
some of the Omega support people.  Subsequent references have just
used it as a convenient and funny shorthand, not some diabolical plot
to defame honest McDonald's employees.  Lighten up!

And now I think we've beaten this dead horse about long enough...
Gary