From: Timothy Morge [mailto:tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 May 2001 20:57
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RT] ? Market Profile

Robert:

I'd suggest that instead of thinking of the open as a meaningless time that
has now been left behind, you do some statistics on specific time periods
in markets that trade 24 hours a day--Cash FX, for example. The open period
is not moot--although it may not always be the most critical time
period  found in any commodities trading period.

To boil it down to a few words: There are specific repeatable critical
times that occur frequently in a given commodity. I have seen the data,
[run on a series of machines that would make Mark whistle and drool] and I
have seen the results.

Best,

Tim Morge

At 08:42 PM 5/5/01 +0100, you wrote:
>not directly...but i learned a lot from it...;)
>
>the issue of the open is moot...just what constitutes an open these days?
>Historically I suspect the the open-focus arose because in the past by that
>point the important economic numbers were already out and CBOT markets like
>tbonds called the tune over equities not the other way round...so after
>maybe an hour of bond trading the future character of the day may well have
>been reasonably well defined.
>
>now if you trade the eurobund you have 1) the open at 7am London time, 2)
>(my data service start quoting) cash bonds at 7.15 3) European stocks
>opening at 8am 4) news dotted around the european morning before 5) 1.30
>news in the US and then 6) 2.30 stocks open US...
>
>that's an awful lot of "noise" to contend with...
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert

So