Re: eSignal feed today

  • To: Omega-List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: eSignal feed today
  • From: Jim Osborn <jimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:33:19 -0800

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 10:34:40AM -0800, Liam wrote:
> The edge of the World occurs a few miles further north...  Nearest
> telco switch is 6-7 miles.  Next nearest is 20 miles.

I heard an interview with author Simon Winchester a while back, saying
how in his rural location he had to have his telephone monopoly bring
in a T1 line in order to get broadband.  I'd think 6-7 miles would be
well within range for your monopoly to give you T1, at least from
a technical standpoint.  They might not be interested, though, for
non-technical reasons.  In any case, it wouldn't be cheap.

Someday, maybe we'll all get hooked up via wireless broadband, like
so many other parts of the world.  Some communities are even taking
matters into their own hands and forming broadband coops.  And just
as fast, the telco monopolies are buying laws against such coops.

Jim