Re[2]: FW: bad timing on antivirus post

On Monday, August 18, 2003, 12:21:11 AM, Frank Fleisher wrote:

FF> Get yourselves a dedicated firewall hardware appliance with a
FF> virtual private network (VPN) and put your computers behind it.

FF> I don't understand why there isn't enough people armed with this
FF> type of basic configuration.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Basic
security ideas have been mentioned many times on this list, but some
people WILL NOT take the steps to protect themselves.

FF> I would not rely on Microsoft's own firewall add-ins, at least for
FF> a while.

When M$ takes over some company that is good at firewalls, we might
see some capability in the "M$" firewall. The current one seems like
the result of a homework assignment in a security programming class.

FF> I would rely on 3rd party firms specializing on firewalls to
FF> protect your box

Right now, YES!

Almost everyone ignores the alternate approach: stop using M$
virusware, the basic cause of the problems. Why do people continue to
be M$ slaves, even when doing so causes so many problems?

ztrader