Re: Beware of Norton Updates . . .

From: "Bob Bolotin" <bob4olist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have been using Live Update for years without problem. But these new
> posts have me concerned...

Same here so don't be to concerned. And i guess that thousands
of people along with you and me are using Live Update for years
without problems also.

> Is it safer to download the update from the web site?

My guess would be that it is just as save, as long as you do it as
regular as Live Update does it. since live update does it every 3
hours with my pc i wonder if you will ever do it that regularly.....

> http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html
>
> Or is it time to find a different anti-virus program? I hate to give up on
> Norton. It is has always worked fine for me.

So why quit ? Because of the few isolated cases where it goes wrong ?
Many people have good experiences with Kaspersky and that is a
scanner wich i did not like because it slowed down my computer.
Don't ask me (or Kaspersky) why but it just did. The scanning of
e-mail was horrible.

Every scanner will have it's isolated cases of problems. Better
stay with the market leaders because they will problaby solve
their problems sooner that the small companies (because they
will notice errors more quickly most of the time)

> I do notice that they are constantly updating more than just virus
> definitions. Virus definition updates should cause no harm, but often
other
> updates are done also, probably software updates. The Live Update doesn't
> give much insight into whether these other updates are actually necessary,
> and I have been loading all of them.

That's what i mean. Probably some problem in some case for wich they
post a fix. My guess would be that most of the time it will do no harm
and can only do you good because some problem is fixed. Why else
would they update programs, i can not imagine they will fix something
that is not broken.

Stick with it i would say. Best scanner i have ever seen. And i know
that there are people that have problems with it. As long as it works
for me, (and probably millions of other people) i am satisfied.
There will alway's be someone that has a problem with some program.
In the case of Norton i don't think the majority has a problem. on the
contrairy.....

Greetings