Re[2]: The Usual Suspects

On Friday, September 14, 2001, 11:00:30 AM, Jim Johnson wrote:

JJ> In my opinion analogous groups ;exist in US--white supremecists,
JJ> KKK, SDS, abortion clinic bombers, etc.

Most thoughtful people do not like these groups, but allowing them to
exist is the price we pay for having a truly free country. We practice
what we preach.

JJ> 1. route out the unseemly elements in their own countries, by
JJ> whatever means they choose that works in a reasonable timeframe OR
JJ> face severe reprisals from the US.

So - do we decide who these 'unseemly elements' are, and then force
these countries to eliminate them? If carried to the limit, this would
be little different from what, say, Hitler did.

If we truly want keep freedom, here and in other countries, we might
want to think about this a bit. A truly free society must allow
expression of unpopular opinions, but not to the point of randomly
killing others. As always, though, it is difficult to draw a sharp,
precise line between good and bad.

ztrader