Re: THE ANSWER - Religion won't go away unfortunately

I agree that terrorism will persist as long as there are values held higher
than free life.  Unfortunately, religion or mysticism isn't going to go
away.  The USSR and China both tried for over half a century and failed to
eliminate it.  What can be done is replace negative mysticism (which
permits religious justification for suicide bombers) with positive
mysticism which explicitly makes life the highest value.    Most mainstream
religions have a "thou shalt not kill" clause.  That needs to be
emphasized.  The parts of the 'holy books' that speak of devine vengeance
or give any hint of justification to megalomaniacs that would claim to be
God's representative on earth need to be re-interpreted.

In light of the intense and justified anger over this catastrophe, we need
to think of the value of killing as a means of balancing the scales of
justice.  Killing the fanatics responsible for this outrage is not the
ultimate punishment that could be inflicted on them.  In fact, given their
penchant for engaging in suicide bombing, it is no punishment at all.  Far
better would be to capture these individuals and put them in solitary
confinement while taking every precaution that they live as long as
possible without contact with their comrades or any other humans.  That
would (for them) be a real punishment that they might fear. -uf