NDX symbol funnies

If I may divert your attention from the Igor wars for a moment...  :-)

I use NDX a lot in my trading.  I have had problems in the past with
different versions of the NDX symbols, and I thought I'd resolved
them -- but now I just noticed something is still messed up.

As I understand it, there are two NDX symbols:  one is on NASDAQ, and
one is on CBOE.  I hadn't noticed it before but it appears that the
one on CBOE is an "index OPTION," which makes sense, while the one on
NASDAQ is an index.  If you want to plot the NDX index, you should
use the NASDAQ NDX index.

If I remember right, the "default" symbol that comes up if you add
NDX to your portfolio is the CBOE one, and that was the cause of my
original problems, but I'm not sure now.

Anyway.  I have NDX/NASDAQ in my portfolio.  If I chart the symbol
NDX, it comes up with the NDX/NASDAQ symbol just like it should.

But if I try to plot an ASCII file containing NDX data, I have a
problem.  If I name the file NDX.csv or something, TS automatically
knows it's supposed to contain NDX data, so it looks up the NDX
symbol.  But it finds the NDX/CBOE index *option*, not the NDX/NASDAQ
index!  Furthermore, when specifying the symbol I want to plot from
that ASCII file, I can't get TS to find the NDX/NASDAQ index!
Searching for "Index option" in "All exchanges" returns NDX/CBOE, and
searching for "Index" in "All exchanges" returns nothing.

The symbol universe says both symbols exist.

I've charted NDX data from an ASCII file before, and I would have
sworn it did it correctly (which would mean it got the NDX/NASDAQ
symbol, since NDX/CBOE displays in 16ths), but maybe I missed
something that obvious??

Just to add to the intrigue, lately I've had trouble pasting NDX (and
other) data to & from other people's systems.  Sometimes it works
fine, other times I or the other person can't "see" the symbol in the
OMZ file.

What's going on here, and should I be worried??
Gary