Re: Off Subject (Sort of) Looking for notebook recommendation

Hi Stewart,

My laptop configuration, which I have had since January of this year, is
very similar to the proposed system that you have put together for
yourself.

I happen to have a Dell Inspiron 3700, which is very similar to the Dell
Inspiron 5000 that you are considering.

In my case I replaced the installation of Win98 SE that came
preinstalled from Dell with Windows 2000.  Windows 2000 wasn't available
preinstalled from Dell at the time, but is available now.  Although you
didn't ask for OS recommendations, I thought I would mention for your
consideration that, for myself anyway, I have found Windows 2000 to be a
better overall laptop OS than Win 98 SE.

I next installed TS2Ki under Windows 2000 on the Dell laptop, and
currently track about 30 symbols EOD.  I have had no problems running
with this configuration.

As far as your concern about the "ruggedness" of laptops, I cart my Dell
laptop around quite a bit.  It goes with me to the office every morning
and plugs into the docking station, and then comes home with me every
night and plugs into the docking station there.  It goes with me to my
coffee shop.  It goes with me on business trips, comes out on the plane,
comes out at the terminal, etc.  In short, it undergoes quite a bit of
"jostling around", and has not given me any problems so far.

Regards, Matt