Normal Operation for BMI/cable receiver???

I have just switched from Signal/cable to BMI/cable and need some info from
other BMI/cable subscribers.

1.  During receiver "profiling", the BMI tech told me that when the software
(TS4.0 in my case) which interfaces with the receiver is shut down, the
receiver often becomes confused and "locks up" (his phrase).  If this
happens, it is necessary, he said, to power the box down, wait about 15
seconds, then reapply power.

2.  With the box powered up I terminated the BMI server to do some data
converting using the offline servers, then later reinitiated the on-line BMI
server.  It failed to connect to the box, continually looping through the
various baud settings.  I went through the recommended procedure -
terminated the server, powered the box down, waited, reapplied power,
re-executed the server, and all was OK.

3.  Later, after more offline converting, etc., I rebooted my computer with
the BMI box still up and running.  As the desktop came up (Win NT 4, SP5),
the cursor behaved strangely, moving in a very jerky fashion and often
jumping around the screen without my touching the mouse.  Also, pop-up menus
would occasionally appear spontaneously, selection rectangles would appear,
etc. etc.

I killed the BMI box and behavior returned to normal.  I rebooted again (to
be safe), repowered the box, reinitiated TS, and all is now well - so far.

4.  I spoke with another BMI tech and recounted my experiences and also what
the earlier tech had told me.  This tech said he was unaware of any such
problem with BMI boxes in general and that perhaps I had a bad box (this is
my second - the first one wouldn't lock onto the channel).

So here's my question:   Are the rest of you experiencing the same bizarre
behavior by your BMI/cable receivers, or do I in fact have a bad one?

Thanks.

Carroll Slemaker