Re: y2K woes & omega

UMCANE01@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Sorry "dude",
>
> But I believe you're mistaken about Win95. Just check the available "date
> formats" that exist within the Win95 environment. You'll find that a four-
> digit year is available. Once in this mode, Win95 is Y2K compliant. Any other
> questions?

Matt,

To  all others a very long post to answer this once and for all.

I really try to stay out of these pissing contests, but when you come on soo
strong, you just might need to be put in your place.  I work for IBM and have had
meetings with lead tech / dev mgmt in msft about these very issues on more than
one occasion this year.  In maore instances than not, W95 is Y2K compliant, but it
is NOT compliant.  Most does not cut it. Either it is or it isn't.

You are wrong.  Even on the msft web page they still admit it is not compliant -
even after downloading the patches they already have fixed..

MSFT TechNet - Year 2000 Product Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/topics/year2k/product/user_view524xx.htm

Below is the contents of the web page.

Windows 95 (OSR) OEM Service Release

Return to Product Guide Home Page

                    Product: Windows 95 (OSR) OEM
                    Service Release 1, 2, 2.1, 2.5
                                                Versions: 4.00.950C

Compliant: YES w/minor

issues
                    Language: English (US)
                                                Operational Range for Data:
                                                2036
                                                                          Release
                    Prerequisites: Updated versions of WINFILE.EXE and
COMMAND.COM. For more information see Knowledge
                    Base article Q182967.
                    Product Dependencies:
                    Clock Dependencies: PC BIOS

                   How the product handles dates:

                       Storage. All dates are stored internally as 4-digit dates.
MS-DOS file system API’s are an exception. MS-DOSÒ
                       file system APIs use a year offset from 1980 to store
dates. When a program gets a date from an MS-DOSÒ API
                       the program must add 1980.

                       Two-digit shortcut handling: MS-DOS? DATE command will not
accept 2-digit date changes for the year 2000
                       and beyond. To enter the correct date, a 4-digit year must
be entered to the DATE command (internal to
                       COMMAND.COM). Failure to enter the correct 4-digit date
will result in an "invalid date" error. This issue is fixed
                       by the updated version of COMMAND.COM.

                       Also, since the MS-DOSÒ file system API’s only return a
year offset from 1980, the programmer has to add 1980
                       to the date value returned to get the correct date. Win32
API’s are not affected by this.

                   Product Issues:

                       Explorer (EXPLORER.EXE) supports 4-digit dates but must be
set in Control Panel, Regional Settings.

                       Windows File Manager (WINFILE.EXE) does not display dates
beyond the year 2000.

                       This issue is resolved by the following updated file for
Windows 95, all versions:

                                WINFILE.EXE Version 4.00.951 dated 3/11/97 9:51a
155,456

                       To install the update obtain WIN95Y2K.EXE from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles. This file also contains
                       updated versions of COMMAND.COM. For more information see
Knowledge Base article Q182967, "Windows 95
                       Year 2000 Problems with DATE and DIR Commands."

                       COMMAND.COM does not display 4-digit dates and the DATE
command (internal to COMMAND.COM) does not
                       correctly handle 2-digit dates from 00–79. Entering this
command returns the error "Invalid Date".

                       This issue is resolved by the following updated file for
Windows 95 retail release and OEM Service Release 1
                       (4.00.950A):

                            COMMAND.COM (no version info) dated 3/23/98 9:51am
93,034 bytes

                       This issue is resolved by the following updated file for
Windows 95 OSR2, OSR 2.1 (4.00.950B) and OSR 2.5
                       (4.00.950C):

                            COMMAND.COM (no version info) dated 3/23/98 11:12am
93,974 bytes

                       To install the update obtain WIN95Y2K.EXE from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles. This file also contains
                       both updated versions of COMMAND.COM and installs the
correct version. This file also contains the updated
                       version of WINFILE.EXE. For more information see Knowledge
Base article Q182967.

                       Issues with the Find command are as follows:

                       The Find File or Folders dialog's Date tab displays the
year in YY format. This format results in incorrect displays
                       for years greater than 2000. For example, entering
03/20/2003 will incorrectly display 03/20/C3. However this
                       does not effect the search. When searching for files
changed within a certain date range, enter a 2-digit or
                       4-digit date and the search will be performed based on the
dates entered.

                            Microsoft is currently investigating a fix for this
issue. Note: Installing Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or
                            later will resolve this issue.

                       The Find File or Folders dialog’s Date tab allows users to
search for files changed in the previous X months or X
                       years. This does not work correctly for dates past
12/31/1999. The Find command incorrectly identifies all files
                       as changed.