Re: defrag program

Wong wrote:

> I have 32 meg RAM.
>
> When using the defrag program, there are certain options:
>
> 1.      When I use full defrag AND check drive for errors, it usually takes 4-7
>         hours.
>
> 2.      When I use defrag files only, it takes less than 2 minutes (BUT THIS IS

Are you sure you are talking about defrag?  Sounds like you mean scan here.
There's no way a PC can do a defrag of even the smallest drive in less than 2
minutes.   I run a PII 266 w/256MB on a 4 gig drive, and while I've never timed the
defrag, it takes a LOT longer than this.

> A friend of mine bought a pentium 2 233 mhz computer 3 months ago.  He also
> complained it took him more than 5 hours for full defrag.  I don't remember
> how many megabytes of RAM he has, or what size hard drive he has.

This sounds a little long - a couple of hours or so would be typical I'd guess,
unless he has a very large drive.

> That's why I'm thinking of buying Norton for windows.  But I have to know
> if the defrag program would not take a long time for full defrag, like the
> one I'm using.

The defrag program is a resident Windows program.  Norton or anything else won't
speed it up.

Regards,
A.J.