Re: Internet security

Peter2150@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  Went to the sight and
> let it test my computer.   Nothing bad seemed to happen, it just told me I
> appeared secure, which isn't surprising since this machine has Win 3.1.

I run Win98, and the default settings do not permit file sharing - this has to be
set up by the user.  Checked anyway, and the hack program wasn't able to access
anything either.  Unless you are sharing files over your network, there isn't any
need to have this set up.  If you must run this setting, I would take this warning
seriously, and take the appropriate precautions.  This is the real deal as far as
I am able to tell, although I'm not sure of the extent of access that this program
would permit to hackers - at the very least, the shared files are going to be in
the open if unprotected.  There are some very diabolical people on the net, who
will go to great lengths to disrupt others' computing for the sheer thrill of it
it would seem.  Even though there are a lot of hoaxes, it is wise to take any
security warning seriously, even if you are like most of us and have nothing on
our drives that should be of interest to anyone else.  That guy on the CNBC
commercial with the pierced tongue lives!

A.J.