This IS a Racial Slur.... Plain & Simple!!

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 13:54:56 -0400, you wrote:
>Michael Harris wrote:

>> TO: Randy Barlow
>> Not being an Afro-American, I am unfamiliar with the term "Afro-American
>> rigging."  If it is a racist expression, I would greatly appreciate your
>> keeping such language to yourself.
>> If it is not, please accept my apology and define it for me and anyone
>> else not familiar with the expression.

>Mike,
>While the wording may have been in bad taste, it is not meant to be
>racial.  It is, for us old timers, just a way of saying:  Fixing
>something with a temporary means (i.e. tape, wire, etc), which will
>still require the correct fix in the future,  instead of fixing it
>correctly and permantly now.
>                                          Randy

Randy,

In a couple decades from now I will take offence to that term... "old
timers"..... It shows an utter lack of respect for our elderly
community..... BUT, for now it's OK!  (just having fun!)

ON THE SERIOUS SIDE... I couldn't believe I read your reference to
"afro......." either!!       If what you tell us is true, there were a
couple words that you could have used that may have been in better
"taste"......

1)     "COB-JOB"  -----  (my personal favorite)
2)     "IMPROVISION"  -----  (not a bad choice either)
3)     even "PIECE OF SHIT" would have been a better choice  -----
            (added after the fact)

ho, Ho, HOLD the phone here!!

Now that I think about it, I must say I don't BUY INTO your excuse
that the reference to "Afro-American rigging" was NOT a racist
reference!!

The reason I say that is because I seem to remember the term
......"Nigger Rigging" being used on the farm when I was a child, by
some of my more "colorful" uncles!  And I can say from memory that it
was used in such a tone as to be considered a "DEROGATORY, DEMEANING
RACIAL SLUR!!"

I think your reference to "afro......" was simply an attempt to
sugar-coat the phrase "nig....."!!     AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY...
that sir, IS A RACIAL SLUR, PLAIN & SIMPLE!!

Later.....

JMB
TraderGuy@xxxxxxx