Re: Multiple Monitor support in Windows 98

  • Subject: Re: Multiple Monitor support in Windows 98
  • From: "Chuck" <Crf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:35:24 -0800 (PST)

-----Original Message-----
From: Scientific Approaches <sci@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, February 26, 1998 4:26 PM

>Visavis wrote:
>
>> I think Omega Research still is not capable of answering
>> that because Window 98 is just being setting its standard
>> and final release is not yet done so how could a software
>> developer be ahead in rolling out products than Microsoft?
>
>Windows 98 actually is far beyond that stage.  Windows 98 Beta builds have
>been available to beta testers for more than a year.  The design is now
very
>stable.  Microsoft has announced Windows 98 Beta software is being shipped
>to retail outlets throughout the country where anyone who wants a copy can
>have one free.

>Beware, however.  That is only a cheap marketing ploy.  If you install
>Windows 98 Beta, you will learn 90 days later that it has a built-in
timeout

Partially true. The current build is 1691 and is a Release Candidate. It
will expire Apr.1999

>.  A message will advise you the software can no longer be used and that
you
>must upgrade to the retail version.  Furthermore, if you try, you will find
>there is no way to get back to Windows 95, other than to wipe your hard
disk
>clean and reinstall everything.

Again partially true. Setup gives you the option to save your old system
files so you may
uninstall if you wish. Also you may install into a different directory  ie
Win98 or whatever,
which is what I do and dual boot with System Commander.  The only problem
here is you will
need to reinstall all of your software you wish to run under the Win98 OS.
Still not what I would call a good 32 bit OS but much more stable than Win95
which should
have been marketed as the worlds most complex computer virus!