Re: Omega says TS won't run on 32-bit operating systems

At 11:21 AM 2/26/98 , you wrote:

>That seems like a basis for license fee refunds.  Omega has represented in
>marketing and sales presentations for years that TradeStation will run on
>Windows NT, a true 32-bit operating system.  Now, after Omega has licensed
>thousands of copies, their technical support department apparently has
>determined their product won't run as represented.  (On the other hand,
>maybe their technical staff would be better at violin playing than at
>correctly answering elementary technical questions?)
>
>  -Bob Brickey
>   Scientific Approaches
>   sci@xxxxxxxxxx

I tried for several weeks to get a stable TS4 (build 21?) installation on
three different NT machines with no luck. Tech support wasn't too helpful:
"it *should* work" was a common remark.

On the other hand, they did spend considerable time trying for a successful
implementation, for which I was grateful. Getting a large, complex 16-bit
Windows application to run on NT is rarely easy. There are so many
compromises necessary in 16-bit Windows programming...

They did acknowledge two distinct problems with TS and NT, both having to
do with direct hardware access, a no-no in NT. It will be interesting to
see whether Omega has the resources to rewrite TS for a "pure" 32-bit
environment.

rld
Richard Leighton Dixon
rldixon@xxxxxxxx