Re : EL book and EL self training

Dans un courrier daté du 18/02/98 20:35:43  , vous avez écrit :

<<
 >Omega never provided me with any other documentation than what you have in
 >the manuals.  It toke me over 2 years of 12+ hours a day to master Easy
 >Language.  Yes it is true that anybody that knows Easy Language can make
 >more money outside Omega than at Omega but Any Omega employee that has left
 >to 'start his EL consulting'  put alot of dedicated hard time into learing
 >the  language.  I was not a computer major in school, i was an advertising
 >and political science major with a minor in marketing.  I didnt get into
 >computers untill after college.  So with no programming prior knowledge i
 >educated myself with the resources available.  Those resources were nothing
 >more than what you have.  I left omega not to start a consulting business
 >but to trade which I have been doing since last april.  If you put half the
 >time into Easy language programming that you put into writing flames on
 >this list maybe you could master the language.  I dont want to start a
 >flame fight here but I need to defend myself from your broad remarks. If
 >you have a problem with a specific X-employee then use his name.  Dont
 >belittle my hard work and effort.

 Would you consider writing a book on EL?  As Mark has pointed out, the
 resources are exceedingly poor for EL programming newbies.  An EL book from
 your unique perspective would be a valuable addition.

 Tony Haas >>

Unfortunately, things are not so simple and mastering a programming language
is not included in any book.

Programming is easy, even with EL, even if not enough documented.

What is difficult is to master your thinking when programming something.
The language is the support, the idea the core, and the result is your work.

I personally never followed programming courses but always found the answer by
reflection.
So, I have trainded my brain and not my EL knowledge (EL knowledge comes as
you progress).
The hardest the work at the beginning, the best the result a
h to know and all is in the
documentation, with a few exceptions.

I do not like programming very much, but I like to solve problems.
Programming language is one modern and powerful mean to do this.
But without your own ability that you may increase by practice, no book, no
secret documentation will help you very much. The result could be even worse
if you take the habit to rely on external sources and to not find a benefit in
training your brain.

What was very pleasant for me with TS Express was the "Stump the programmer "
problem posted in each issue.
(Follow the shortest code solution to a given problem).
Even if I have been  the winner a lot of time, this enforced me to find tricks
that I would not have thought about before. Because I needed it to beat the
challengers (if any).
This is a true manner to progress.
And a robust one.
Once you have achieved this goal, things becomes more simple.

Even the Sirtrade97 breakthought reurofuzzy software has been evolved with
this principle in mind (but I was not alone to do this).
We have succeded to do something that is unavailable elsewhere, without
anything else than our experience,and the standard TS documentation. And the
thing is even  able to retrain realtime during the market within TradeStation,
without crashing and without hooking too much CPU time.

Sincerely,

Pierre Orphelin
www.sirtrade.com
(free evaluation version to download)