Data Service Y2K Problem?

Gary Funck wrote:

> While we're on the subject, do the various historical and
> realtime datafeed providers have implicit Y2K compliant
> problems as well?

No, except where software makes wrong assumptions about the century.  The
use of two-digit years is common in our society.  If you date a check
2/17/00 on February 17th of the year 2000 and your bank makes the wrong
assumption that it was written February 17th of the year 1900, they will
bounce it, because of the assumed stale date.  However, the problem will
have been due to their assumption, not your date.

Except where trading data histories extend back into the early part of the
20th century, software can be written to make correct century assumptions
from two-digit year dates.  There will be no more need for trading data
services to send four-digit years at the turn of the century than there is
now.  The same ambiguity exists now that will exist then.  Did the 2/17/98
date-stamp on the data you received today imply the year 2098, 1998, 1898,
or 1798?  How do you know?  You know, because you know what century we are
in.  Won't you also know that a couple years from now?  If so, couldn't your
software "know" it also?

  -Bob Brickey
   Scientific Approaches
   sci@xxxxxxxxxx