Re : EL book

Pierre Orphelin wrote:

>Unfortunately, things are not so simple and mastering a programming language
>is not included in any book.
>
>Programming is easy, even with EL, even if not enough documented.

Why reinvent something when that knowledge of EL tricks and undocumented
functions could go into a book?  My time is valuable.  A book of tricks and
tips would be valuable to me and others.  I'm a trader, not a coder.

>What is difficult is to master your thinking when programming something.
>The language is the support, the idea the core, and the result is your work.
>
>I personally never followed programming courses but always found the
answer by
>reflection.

I learned Turbo Pascal in one evening using some code my wife wrote and her
Turbo Pascal textbook.  I needed to write some code for the Newton-Raphson
method.  The iteration problem I wanted to solve is not as important as the
process.  I used some Turbo Pascal code as an analogy and the textbook (to
clarify some unclear concepts and data structures) and proceeded to write
my code in a few hours.  I used this code analogy and manual process to
write simple EL code for indicators and systems as well.  I also bought
some systems and dissected these for advanced EL concepts too.  But an
undocumented "tips and tricks" book(s) would have saved hours of
frustration.

>So, I have trainded my brain and not my EL knowledge (EL knowledge comes as
>you progress).
>The hardest the work at the beginning, the best the result a
>h to know and all is in the
>documentation, with a few exceptions.
>
>I do not like programming very much, but I like to solve problems.
>Programming language is one modern and powerful mean to do this.
>But without your own ability that you may increase by practice, no book, no
>secret documentation will help you very much. The result could be even worse
>if you take the habit to rely on external sources and to not find a
benefit in
>training your brain.

Yes it will!  You make your living by writing and selling EL code.
Therefore, you will have a different philosophical bent to coding than a
full time trader.  We are more results oriented than you and want those
results as quickly as possible.  A "bugs" or other secret and undocumented
techniques recorded in a book would speed the process tremendously.
Training my brain to trade is more important than training it to code.
Somehow the main point of TS and EL has been lost...both exist to assist
traders to MAKE MONEY (and lots of it! <g>).

>What was very pleasant for me with TS Express was the "Stump the programmer "
>problem posted in each issue.
>(Follow the shortest code solution to a given problem).
>Even if I have been  the winner a lot of time, this enforced me to find
tricks
>that I would not have thought about before. Because I needed it to beat the
>challengers (if any).
>This is a true manner to progress.
>And a robust one.
>Once you have achieved this goal, things becomes more simple.
>
>Even the Sirtrade97 breakthought reurofuzzy software has been evolved with
>this principle in mind (but I was not alone to do this).
>We have succeded to do something that is unavailable elsewhere, without
>anything else than our experience,and the standard TS documentation. And the
>thing is even  able to retrain realtime during the market within
TradeStation,
>without crashing and without hooking too much CPU time.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Pierre Orphelin
>www.sirtrade.com
>(free evaluation version to download)

I'll forgive your shameless advertising this one time. <G>

                Tony Haas

The best neural net is the one between
your ears