[amibroker] Re: [OT] Acronis True Image and system backup [was Re: Re: Curing AmiBroker slowdowns with a system restore]

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Re: [OT] Acronis True Image and system backup [was Re: Re: Curing AmiBroker slowdowns with a system restore]
  • From: Lester Vanhoff <ebsn247lsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:11:57 +0000 (UTC)

> Yuki Taga: Lester, on what do you base your claim that USB drives are
> any less reliable than others?

I was referring to USB flash drive = pen drive = thumb drive, assuming that
LB (who admitted not being a "computer person") had that in mind. I should
have been more specific.

> Yuki Taga: I've heard horror stories about Ghost ...

So have I, the web is full of them. Ghost is an older product and its glory
days seem to be over.

I actually had problems with Acronis True Image Home early last year. After
one of Windows Updates it just kept crashing my system (Windows XP-SP2, HP
computer), all Acronis TIH versions available at the time (v9, v10 and
v11). Some other users reported similar problems in Acronis forums.

At this point I decided to switch to Acronis Echo Work Station installed on
USB flash drive under Bart PE (pre-installed environment built from Windows
XP i386 files) and has never have any problems ever since. This approach
has two advantages:

1) You run True Image under Windows environment instead of default Linux.
With Linux it's just a gamble, everything depends if your hardware is
compatible with Linux drivers provided by Acronis or not. On some systems
everything works just fine and on some others it's just a nightmare.

2) You can run backups from a DOS batch file, so you don't need to fool
around with Acronis' Linux GUI. Just a time saver.

For anyone who needs more info here is the link to Acronis True Image
forums:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Lester

**** IMPORTANT ****