Re: [amibroker] Re: Re: Curing AmiBroker slowdowns with a system restore

Lester, on what do you base your claim that USB drives are any less
reliable than others?  I've got a Buffalo twin 1-TB in a RAID1
configuration, and I've never had a hint of any problem.  And a
six-year-old Buffalo 120 GB USB is still in perfect operating
condition, other than the fact that I cannot use it for an entire
system backup anymore, because of the size.  (Thank you, 15 megabyte
RAW files.)

Also, a tip for something I *finally* solved in conjunction with
Acronis and my backup configuration.  For a long time with this RAID
setup, I was getting ftdisk or disk errors in the System log, for
about 1 to 2 hours after a nightly backup was completed.  Then the
errors would stop (about 5 am in the morning).  I could not solve it
until I finally looked at each and every item in Tools > Options >
Default Backup Options > Additional Settings.  Unchecked by default,
is a line item: "Dismount media after backup is finished".  I checked
that, and from that moment on I never had another ftdisk or disk
error in the System log.  I should add here that the errors did not
mean anything -- the data was fine.

Oddly enough, as far as Windows is concerned, the USB drives are
still mounted in the morning.  So the "dismount" must be Acronis from
the drives, rather than the drives from Windows.  But I think Acronis
ought to fix this so that it doesn't spit out dozens upon dozens of
yellow triangles in the log.  (Why the default would be not to
dismount prior to program close, I cannot imagine.) They could
overhaul that interface, too.  The sub windows (such as the one you
get to above) are much too small and don't stay sized, and resizing
them has an clunky feel about it.  When I "drill down", I like to see
where I've been, as well as where I am and where I'm going.  ^_^

Excellent program however.  I've accomplished numerous restores and
never had a bit or a byte out of place to my knowledge.  That's what
we pay for: peace of mind.

I'll add that in your "the way it works" explanation, maybe you
forgot to say that one has a choice, too, of either restoring entire
partitions, or just restoring files or folders.  And in the later
case it's sometimes just as easy, or even easier, to simply mount the
image and do a manual copy across, than to sort through all the
dialog options for a restore.

BTW, I've always had an uneasy feeling about the Secure Zone feature
of Acronis.  To me, that just adds one more layer of complexity
between a restore and the data.  (If, for any reason, TI cannot solve
the Secure Zone -- that it exists on the drive -- then I cannot see
how it can possibly restore the data that resides there, nor can I
see how one could use the OS to make that data visible to the
program.) So I never used it and still don't.  But TI has never
failed to restore (never had an unreadable backup), so I have no
particular reason to think it might fail to decipher the Secure Zone.
I just like to keep things as simple as possible.

Finally, I never bother to verify my images after writing them
anymore.  First, I've never had an image that did not verify, and
second, according to posters on Acronis forums, a verified image
still is no guarantee that the image can be restored or mounted.  So
I don't bother with verifying now.  (The verify process only verifies
that *all* data on the image can be read; it does *not* compare data
on the image with source data.)

Yuki

**** IMPORTANT ****