[amibroker] Re: UKB news

Dennis,

Everything about the UKB was new to me, including net publishing, so
I experimented with a range of options, PDF being one.

I had a liking for PDF, since I could control the formatting more and
also I personally quite like to download a PDF - it's a freebie and
also they build to form a searchable desktop database (which I have
had success with - since trading info is so thinly spread and often
recycled I find it efficient to get some quick hits via searching
ebooks).

I did some homework and had no trouble finding reliable free word to
PDF convertors (they act as a psuedo printer).

I have some links from that searching if you need them (I wouldn't
have got them all though).

I personally thought that posting a summary of the content, as the
UKB page, with the copy attached as a PDF link was a good option (IMO
the summary should contain all of the keywords needed for portals,
like google, to index the page (web indexers don't search through
attached PDF's).

(the negative is that visitors won't open an attachment as often as
they will read a webpage).

I was keen on adding a TOC to my PDF's and that is where it came
unstuck.

I tried the best of the PDF clones - my pick was:

http://www.nitropdf.com/

It claims to be capable of indexing the PDF but I couldn't get it to
work.

In the end I was faced with buying some Adobe software but I didn't
want the price tag, or the maintenance, just for a one off use (the
UKB).

>From there, I changed over to using Word, with a TOC (I left a couple
of examples of that approach behind FTR).

In the end, as I gained some experience, I changed around to
preferring the pages ( the only limit there is my skill levels and/or
the arm wrestling with WordPress etc e.g. an HTML index of the
content of a page is easily achievable in any everyday HTML editor
and probably WordPress if I could be bothered to learn it).

Anyway, I am heading in a different direction as my next post will
show.

cheers,

brian_z

> As far as the UKB postings, I have thought about this also.  My
> approach will be to generate my material as a stand alone PDF
> document  and then provide a link to the PDF or other files that
are
> uploaded.  The PDF will be formatted for printability.  Then some
> screenshots or text as a summary only will be put on the UKB for
> direct reading.  I did some of that with my first post.  I don't
know
> how pervasive it has become, but my web browser (Safari) displays
PDF
> files as easily as HTML files.  I am sure that this will
increasingly
> become the standard capability over time.  If the vehicle of the
UKB

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> I'm having a break from writing for the UKB.
>
> When Tomasz started it I told him I would write X amount in the
period
> up to the end of year 2007 - it was my payback to him for
unbelievable
> support.
>
> So, I went beyond that but now I am not certain that I want to
continue.

> I like the coummunity spirit and internet compact, where we share
free
> stuff with each other, but I find that publishing requires ongoing
> commitment to keeping up with additional software (if only I could
> publish hassle free).
>
> Although I feel the UKB is a success it is a problem for me that
more
> authors haven't come forward to sustain the opening effort.
>
> IMO the WordPress software, structure of the site, need to sign a
legal
> for etc are holding the site back, and turning away authors, but
AFAIK
> Tomasz is unlikely to make any changes there.
>
> I am looking at other software/sites where I might set up a NFP
site on
> my own, or as a joint open effort with other AB users, as I do have
> more stuff (some I have started).
>
> Anyway, I dropped a dictionary on my PC tower and killed it (some
UKB