[amibroker] Re: UKB news

I have decided that I will continue to post to the DatabaseManagement
section of the UKB, on an occasional basis, on into the future (it is
a day by day decision though).

Sooner or later, my other material will be duplicated and expanded on
my own site.

The site was founded, as a joint effort, by Tomasz, Herman/Al and
myself.
>From my point of view it was an outstanding combination, and partly
built on friendships, that are still there.

The fundamental problem for me is that while Herman and I retired
early, and can basically suit ourselves, the UKB is only a very small
part of Tomasz's empire and it is not in his overall interests to
focus on it too much.

If I am involved in a project I like it be going somewhere and
getting there fast.

Also the site is owned and operated by AB, so if I like, and want to
network with someone who has conflicting commericial interests, or
who Tomasz doesn't like, then my hands are tied (not a good thing for
me).

The reality of any joint venture is that if you want to make a change
you have to negotiate it through the 'committee' - also not a good
thing for me.

Re my future posts to the UKB:

I find the idea that individuals can 'copyright' AFL code rather
strange - everybit of code is based on Tomasz's original work and we
all learnt it from him.

Basically, as far as I am concerned, my posts that contain AFL code
and instructions on how to use AB, belong to Tomaz/AB and I will post
my efforts, in that area, at the UKB.

The resource material/statistics and my original work has generic
interest and will be duplicated/expanded elsewhere (if at all).

Re my future site:

- there is no set date or format
- it will be an opportunity, and motivation, for me to learn better
net publishing skills
- it will be somewhere in the range from

a) brian's whiteboard (a no comments, no support, no permanency site,
like a google blog) - I will just upload my files and examples, as I
do now - there won't be any fanfare and the stuff or the site can
disapear at any time).

b) a fully fledged site for trading authors to collaborate and post
their efforts

- it will be open to others, but I am not concerned if no one comes
to the party, I'll go it alone.
- a democratic site
- the nature of the site is up to the participants
- my stuff will be not for profit
- if I am on my own, and have to pay for the site, I might end up
using some pay for clicks stuff somewhere (to cover costs)
- possibly people with commercial interests might want to run their
pages alongside the work of not for profit authors (I don't know - I
will have to see what eventuates).
- I reserve the right to sell some of my stuff at some point down the
track (e.g. plugins, books, training, systems etc) - the liklihood of
that is extremely low, at this stage, but I don't want to handcuff
myself to an ideal if the site is working and I need to adapt or if I
am putting in massive hours for free (there is a limit to what I will
do for the community).

c) or not post anything extra at all.

I will continue as an active member of this group.

Thanks to all who supported my efforts at the UKB - I made some
mistakes and I had some successes but my view is "you can't learn to
swim from the grandstands".

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@xxx> wrote:

> I'm having a break from writing for the UKB.
>
> When Tomasz started it I told him I would write X amount in the
period
> up to the end of year 2007 - it was my payback to him for
unbelievable
> support.
>
> So, I went beyond that but now I am not certain that I want to
continue.

> I like the coummunity spirit and internet compact, where we share
free
> stuff with each other, but I find that publishing requires ongoing
> commitment to keeping up with additional software (if only I could
> publish hassle free).
>
> Although I feel the UKB is a success it is a problem for me that
more
> authors haven't come forward to sustain the opening effort.
>
> IMO the WordPress software, structure of the site, need to sign a
legal
> for etc are holding the site back, and turning away authors, but
AFAIK
> Tomasz is unlikely to make any changes there.
>
> I am looking at other software/sites where I might set up a NFP
site on
> my own, or as a joint open effort with other AB users, as I do have
> more stuff (some I have started).
>
> Anyway, I dropped a dictionary on my PC tower and killed it (some
UKB