RE: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

Not so sure since that was not my understanding on Hyper threading,  and my lap top that has it is much faster on mathematical equations than my other computer that does not.

I take it that the page filing settings on all computers were the same too

Mark

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of b
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 1:11 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

My test P4 was a non- Hyperthread model (516J or 519J, I
can remember which).

I would expect a P4 with HyperThreading turned ON to be
about 1/2 the speed.

My understanding is that unless an application is optimized
for HyperTreading, the application will run at half speed
since Windows will assign that application to 1 of the 2
virtual CPU cores that exist when HyperThreading is ON.

The advantage of the 2 virtual CPU cores is that a single
application can not "hog" all the CPU cycles. Thus a
HyperThread CPU is appears to be a lot more responsive to
the user when running multiple applications (at the cost of
doing individual jobs at half speed).

So my guess would be that a P4 (2.93 MHz) with
HyperTreading would take twice as long to run my AB test
code. That would mean it would be 30% slower than my four
year old Athlon 1.4 GHz computer.

--- Mark Keitel <mkeitel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Curious if you used a Hyperthread P4 on how it would
> compare in that test
>

> Mark

<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Si
> gnatures\www.aajonahfish.com\astronomyhaven.htm>
>

>   _____

tment+management+software&w2=Investment+property+software&w3=Investment+soft

ware&w4=Investment+tracking+software&w5=Return+on+investment+software&w6=Sto

ck+investment+software&c=6&s=195&.sig=f7GzIv9NJMWrH8f5eIxZQQ>
>  management
> software
>
> Investment

ent+management+software&w2=Investment+property+software&w3=Investment+softwa

re&w4=Investment+tracking+software&w5=Return+on+investment+software&w6=Stock

+investment+software&c=6&s=195&.sig=fBbyjQAf07KrkKtKejJqSg>