RE: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

I've run that test, hyperthreading on or off, on my P4 3.6G.  It makes no difference....
Perhaps with tiny databases that could fit into the cache memory it might make a difference.  In my test using ~2500 stocks, no disk accesses, the speed appears to be limited by memory access times to main memory.
Sid

b <b519b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My test P4 was a non- Hyperthread model (516J or 519J, I
can remember which).

I would expect a P4 with HyperThreading turned ON to be
about 1/2 the speed.

My understanding is that unless an application is optimized
for HyperTreading, the application will run at half speed
since Windows will assign that application to 1 of the 2
virtual CPU cores that exist when HyperThreading is ON.

The advantage of the 2 virtual CPU cores is that a single
application can not "hog" all the CPU cycles. Thus a
HyperThread CPU is appears to be a lot more responsive to
the user when running multiple applications (at the cost of
doing individual jobs at half speed).

So my guess would be that a P4 (2.93 MHz) with
HyperTreading would take twice as long to run my AB test
code. That would mean it would be 30% slower than my four
year old Athlon 1.4 GHz computer.

--- Mark Keitel <mkeitel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Curious if you used a Hyperthread P4 on how it would
> compare in that test

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS