RE: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

My test P4 was a non- Hyperthread model (516J or 519J, I
can remember which).

I would expect a P4 with HyperThreading turned ON to be
about 1/2 the speed.

My understanding is that unless an application is optimized
for HyperTreading, the application will run at half speed
since Windows will assign that application to 1 of the 2
virtual CPU cores that exist when HyperThreading is ON.

The advantage of the 2 virtual CPU cores is that a single
application can not "hog" all the CPU cycles. Thus a
HyperThread CPU is appears to be a lot more responsive to
the user when running multiple applications (at the cost of
doing individual jobs at half speed).

So my guess would be that a P4 (2.93 MHz) with
HyperTreading would take twice as long to run my AB test
code. That would mean it would be 30% slower than my four
year old Athlon 1.4 GHz computer.

--- Mark Keitel <mkeitel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Curious if you used a Hyperthread P4 on how it would
> compare in that test
>

> Mark

<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Si
> gnatures\www.aajonahfish.com\astronomyhaven.htm>
>

>   _____

tment+management+software&w2=Investment+property+software&w3=Investment+soft

ware&w4=Investment+tracking+software&w5=Return+on+investment+software&w6=Sto

ck+investment+software&c=6&s=195&.sig=f7GzIv9NJMWrH8f5eIxZQQ>
>  management
> software
>
> Investment

ent+management+software&w2=Investment+property+software&w3=Investment+softwa

re&w4=Investment+tracking+software&w5=Return+on+investment+software&w6=Stock

+investment+software&c=6&s=195&.sig=fBbyjQAf07KrkKtKejJqSg>
>  property
> software
>
> Investment

ement+software&w2=Investment+property+software&w3=Investment+software&w4=Inv

estment+tracking+software&w5=Return+on+investment+software&w6=Stock+investme

=== message truncated ===

Yahoo! Mail

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/GHeqlB/TM