RE: [amibroker] Re: Trading mutual funds...

Now,
wait just a minute!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
As
Groucho Marx used to say: "I refuse to join any group that would have me as a
member"!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
proud non AARP member!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2003 12:22
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Trading mutual funds...Geez Fred,I would have
  given odds that you were card carrying member of AARP.But since you're
  not, I guarantee that AARP is anxiously awaiting thearrival of a
  curmudgeonly member such as yourself <g>.Dingo & I will be
  awaiting your arrival!Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> There are "old timers" and then
  there are old "timers" ... I wrote it > before I realized the
  pun.  No shame.  I can't do AARP yet either > even though
  they've been sending me stuff since I was 12.  I knew and >
  understood the issues regarding the -1x -2x funds but was unaware >
  that there were Fido sectors that could be shorted.  Never-the-less I
  > think all would agree that out of the 6-8000 mf's that are out there
  > that it is at most 1-2% that have this orientation.  It would be
  > great if they ALL could be shorted directly but I think this is some
  > how un-American as "timing" of mf's has become.> > As
  far as contributing code goes, post what you want.  Frankly I >
  could think of nothing better than this board becoming more FT-Like >
  in this regard.> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bruce1r"
  <brucer@xxxx> wrote:> > Fred -> > > >
  Before I post the next chapter, I'd like to add a couple is > >
  additional notes to this thread on shorting.> > > > Just
  FYI, there are about 10 Fidelity select funds that can be > >
  shorted.  But, most people look at going "short" funds as playing
  > the > > Rydex, Profunds, or Potomac short index
  funds.  There is a subtle > > difference in these though, from
  going short.  They mirror a > multiple > > (-1x, -2x) of
  the daily rate of change of an index.  This is > > different
  from an actual short, where you margin percentage (and > > therefore
  your effective leverage) changes over time value of the > >
  fund.> > > > P.S. Fred - you are going to shame me into
  posting AB versions of > > some signals just to avoid being called
  an "old timer".  BTW, I > don't > > have an AARP card
  yet!> > > > > > --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> >
  > I thought that's what I said, but last I looked these were pretty
  > > > much limited to inverses of an index as opposed to being
  mirrors > of > > a > > > lot of other
  stuff.> > > > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "areehoi" <hoierman@xxxx> wrote:> > > > Fred &
  All:> > > > Rydex and Pro Funds have Short funds that you can
  play the same > > as a> > > > short.  You can
  switch between there long and short funds on a > > daily>
  > > > basis.> > > > > > > > Dick
  H.> > > > > > > > --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> >
  > > > You can not short mutual funds, but there are some index
  > > oriented > > > > > funds typically based on
  SPX / NDX / RUT that are built to > > track > > > >
  > inversely from the indexes themselves.  So the purchase of >
  > these > > > > > would equate roughly to the shorting
  of the index.> > > > > > > > > > Someone
  will undoubtedly come along and slap me upside the > head > >
  > for > > > > > saying this but imho the short side of
  the market is more > > > difficult > > > > >
  to play than the long side.  There are several reasons for > this
  > > > not > > > > > the least of which is that
  if for no other reason than > > inflation > > > the
  perspective, up.  > > If > > > one > >
  > > > were to look at how many up days there were versus how many
  > > down > > > days > > > > > one
  would see that over a very long period of time that the > > ratio
  > > > is > > > > > about 60/40.  This is
  easy to see when looking at long term > > > charts as >
  bears, > > > where > > > > > the former has a
  tendancy to take a lot longer to move a > > similar > >
  > > > distance then the latter when one is looking at environments
  > > that > > > are > > > > > of
  equal degree.> > > > >  > > > > >
  <jtelang@xxxx> > > wrote:> > > > > >
  Fred,> > > > > > > > > > > > From
  this, do I understand it correctly that one can't go> > > >
  > > short on MF's? Why would one be sitting on cash otherwise?>
  below...> > > > > > > > > > > >
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> > >
  wrote:> > > > > > > One other note regarding short
  term trading ... There are > > of > > > > >
  course > > > > > > > ways to accomplish the same
  thing with out actually > taking > > > the > >
  i.e. by hedging using a bear oriented fund > > > leaving >
  market neutral during the period of time > when > > > you
  have been sitting in cash.> > > > > > > > >
  <fctonetti@xxxx> > > > wrote:> > > > >
  > > > See below ...> > > > > > > >
  "Chuck Rademacher" > > > > > > > >
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> > > > > > > >
  > Maybe some of you guys (and gals) who trade mutual > > funds
  > > > can > > > > > > > answer >
  > > > of questions?> > > > > > > > >
  to be made in (rotational > > trading > > > of)
  > made > > in > > > the > > > >
  > > > Rydex-> > > > > > > > like>
  are pretty much either index or sector > > > oriented.
  > > is not the kind of thing I personally like to trade.  >
  But > > > for > > > > > > > example
  SPX, NDX or RUT well > or > > is > > > > >
  good > > > > > > at > > > > > >
  > > jumping on the sector that's likely to be hot next as > >
  > opposed > > > > > to > > > > > >
  > the > > > > > > > > one that just was then it
  would certainly work in this > > > scenario.> > >

  2.  Based on current rules and redemption penalties, > > >
  which > > > > > > > families > > > >
  funds can you recommend for rotational trading?> > > > >

  consider to > be > > a > > > > > > >
  > rotational basis.  As I and Ken stated, erf's or the > >
  funds > > > > > > > management > > >
  > > short > > > > > term > > > >
  if > > you > > > are > > > > > >
  > > looking to trade mf's with some sort of short term > >
  oriented > > > > > > > > rotational system as
  opposed to one that trades on an > > > > > >
  intermediate > > > > > > > > basis picking good
  candidates at the beginning of a > > market > > > buy
  > for the most part holding them until a market sell then > > you
  > > > are > > > > > > > going >
  Rydex, ProFunds > & > > > > > Potomac.>

  > 3.  If most (or all) such families of funds charge > >
  early > > > > > > > redemption > > >
  > it safe to assume that you are trading these mid to > > long
  > > > term?> > > > > > > > >
  working on a system that > appears > > > to do >
  > only to> > > > > > > > > find that
  redemption fees are going to kill me.   Or, > > is
  > > > it > > > > > > > > possible
  that> > > > > > > > > there's enough money to
  be made that the fees are of > > > little > > > >

  > > > Most do NOT yet charge erf's and as you can see from >
  > prior > > > > > posts > > > > >
  > > it's > > > > > > > > debatable as to
  whether or not they will and if so what > > the > > >
  > > > minimum > > > > > > > > holding
  periods will be to trigger those.  For short > term > >
  traders adding a 1-2% erf in a 7-14 day period would be > > >
  enough > > > > > to > > > > > > >
  > send them elsewhere or to a different methodology.  > What
  > > > the > > > > > SEC > > >
  > > > or > > > > > > > > the fund
  companies themselves will do with this remains > > to > >
  > be > > > > > > > seen.  > > >
  > as > > > every > > > > > > >
  > 401k/IRA/VA account holder on the planet will be > > screaming
  > murder.> > > > > > > > > > >
  in > some > > > > > > > > recommendations
  on> > > > > > > > > mutual fund families to
  trade.  I can then go do my > own > > > > >
  > > > investigation as to> > > > > > > >
  > their fees, etc and devise my own systems that will > > work
  > > > with > > > > > > > those >

  > > > just > > > > > like > > >
  > > trading > > > in > > > > > >
  > stocks > > > > > > > > to some specific group
  based on whatever.> > > > > > > > > >
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.