RE: healthcare was RE: [RT] sp500/nasdaq top

Earl and all RTs,

First, the threads of the last week have
created the most chatter I&#8217;ve seen in this group for over a year.<span
>  I don&#8217;t know if that has in deep
meaning of market direction but I think it&#8217;s good for all<span
>  of us.

Second, if Earl is writing or has written
a book I want to
know about it .  Please
post title and
where it can be purchased!?

Third, Earl mentioned the often quoted
statistic of 40% of the population being uninsured. <span
> I have no idea if this number is correct
but I do have a couple of comments:

>a)<span
size=2 color=navy face=Arial>I was in the restaurant business for over 16 years (I needed an
income for my trading habit!).  According
to http://www.restaurant.org/research/forecast.cfm
, there are 12 million people in the <font
  size=2 color=navy face=Arial>US<font size=2
color=navy face=Arial> employed in the food service industry. <span
> Very few corporate restaurant chains and
fewer private restaurants provide health insurance due to the transitory nature
of the staff, cost/hassle of administration of a health plan, and the cost of
the insurance itself.  Most servers
and bartenders make ample cash to pay for private health insurance.<span
>  As one of those people, I made an
economic choice and went without health insurance until I was 38 years at which
point I got married and was covered by my wife&#8217;s insurance.<span
>  Before that time I and most of my
co-workers could have paid for coverage but instead chose to have digital cable
tv, to go out to dinner countless times a month, to
drive a newer model car, etc&#8230;
Many of the &#8220;40%&#8221; without coverage could have coverage if
they sacrificed some of today&#8217;s &#8220;necessities&#8221;.

>b)<span
size=2 color=navy face=Arial>As Earl mentioned we already have universal healthcare. <span
> A female server once told me not to waste
my money on health insurance because &#8220;&#8230;emergency rooms have to
treat you.  I go to the hospital all
the time and don&#8217;t pay for shit.&#8221;

>c)<span
size=2 color=navy face=Arial>Insurance was created to &#8220;protect against unexpected catastrophic
loss&#8221;.  Today&#8217;s
insurance is expected to treat any and all medical problems not just
catastrophic losses.  I&#8217;m
betting if minimum deductibles were raised to $5,000 with no co-insurance than
people would go to the doctors a lot less frequently!<span
>  And Econ 100 teaches that less demand =
lower prices&#8230;. For services rendered and insurance itself.

>Just a few thoughts /
comments.<span

Howard