Re: healthcare was RE: [RT] sp500/nasdaq top

Howard,

Sorry, but I'm having too much fun in "retirement" to write a book. That
will have wait for another incarnation.

You raise a healthcare issue which has raged for many years ... should a
statistically healthy group (the young) be required to maintain health coverage
so as to homogenize the lifecycle risks and costs. The battle lines are clear
... without compulsory coverage, the only people who purchase coverage is the
higher risk portion of the population. On a lifecycle basis, the population
tends not to purchase coverage until middle age. There are some specious facets
to this such as fact that parents, who are financially able, will purchase
coverage to cover childcare expenses. Among developed countries, the US is
one of the few which does not have compulsory national coverage.

There is another trend which has become evident here in the US ... the
emasculation of benefits, especially healthcare. Many companies, most
predominantly in the retail field (led by Wal-Mart), maintain a large cadre
of workers whose hours are limited so that they are not eligible for
benefits. The highest cost benefit is health insurance. The most recent
battle was engaged in CA where the large food chains, facing a pitched battle
with Wal-Mart, set out to reduce their benefit costs. However, it is important
to note that this is not happening just in retail but in every industry as
companies seek to cut their costs to the bone. Even the retired do not escape
the knife as companies aggressively scale back existing retirement benefits and
raise premium sharing and co-pays. Given the high rate of cost healthcare cost
increases, I'm not sure they can be blamed, however this trend is exacerbating
the national healthcare coverage problem.

I think our system, which has largely relied upon employer-sponsored
healthcare, has brought about a healthcare system in which the consumer has too
small a stake in reducing costs. When it costs little or nothing (as in days
gone by) to use the healthcare system, you will not discriminate about the
costs. I do like the idea of the new Health Savings Accounts in which one buys a
catastrophic policy and puts the "savings" into an account to offset some of the
non-catastrophic costs and/or reap the benefits of a healthy life-style. This
gives the HSA owner the incentive to use healthcare judiciously ... not that any
sane person would invest the time to wait in a doctor's office absent a pressing
need.

However, those who consume lots of fats and sugars and carry around an
extra 20%+ in weight (a large part of the American population) are not likely to
jump all over this "opportunity". This issue is one which probably gets to the
crux of American healthcare. Go almost anywhere else in the world e.g. Europe
and you will not see the degree of obesity seen here in the US.

Earl
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr