Re: [RT] sp500/nasdaq top

Speaking of low taxes, I don't believe that the author noted at the bottom
wrote this, but it is an interesting analogy.

Sometimes Politicians can exclaim; "It's just a tax cut for the rich!", and
it is just accepted to be fact. But what does that really mean? Justin case
you are not completely clear on this issue, we hope the following will
help.Tax Cuts - A Simple Lesson In EconomicsThis is how the
cookie crumbles. Please read it carefully.Let's put tax cuts in terms
everyone can understand. Suppose that every day, ten men go out for
dinner.The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way
we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:The first four men
(the poorest) would pay nothing.The fifth would pay $1.The sixth would
pay $3.The seventh $7.The eighth $12.The ninth $18.The tenth man
(the richest) would pay $59.So, that's what they decided to
do.The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite
happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a
curve."Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to
reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20."So, now dinner for the ten
only cost $80. The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our
taxes.So, the first four men were unaffected.They would still eat
for free.  But what about the other six, the paying customers?How could
they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair
share'?The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33.But if
they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth
man would each end up being 'PAID' to eat their meal.So, the restaurant
owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the
same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should
pay.And so:The fifth man, like the first four,
now paid nothing (100% savings).The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%
savings).The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% savings).The eighth
now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).The ninth now paid $14 instead of
$18 (22% savings).The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16%
savings).Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four
continued to eat for free.But once outside the restaurant, the men began to
 compare their savings."I only got a dollar out of the $20,"
declared the sixth man.He pointed to the tenth man "but he got
$10!""Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a
dollar, too.It's unfair that he got ten times more than me!""That's
true!!" shouted the seventh man."Why should he get $10 back when I got only
$2? The wealthy get all the breaks!""Wait a minute," yelled the first
four men in unison."We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the
poor!"The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.The next
night the tenth man didn't show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate
without him.But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something
important.They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of
the bill!And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors,
is how our tax system works.The people who pay the highest taxes get the
most benefit from a tax reduction.Tax them too much, attack them for being
wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.There are lots
of good restaurants in Europe and the Caribbean.David R. Kamerschen,
Ph.D.Distinguished Professor of Economics536 Brooks HallUniversity
of Georgia
<BLOCKQUOTE