[RT] Re: President Bush

Dorothy,

I did watch the analysis and listen to the discussions, in fact the
TV has been on steady for that last 2 weeks jumping among various
channels.  I have also monitored and posted on a number of forums.  I
am neither a Republican nor a Democrat.  I vote for the whom ever I
feel is the best person for the job at that point in time and yes, I
did vote for Bush.  IMO, Gore was the bigger fool and Bush the lesser
of the two evils by a very small margin

1. I was not attacking Bush personally, I was critiquing his speech
delivery.  His speech writers wrote and he said what people wanted to
hear, which was the purpose of the speech.  I wasn't saying that Bush
wasn't emotional (in his own way), just that he isn't a good speaker
and doesn't show emotion well.  His delivery was monotoned and
whether he is or not, he came across as the arrogant American
stereotype.  I would have liked him to raise his voice, take off his
shoe and bang it on the podium, show some facial expression, show
something other than just that thin lipped smile/grin he has.  Given
that he is President, Bush would do well to get some instruction in
the art of public speaking.

2.  Again, I find it interesting how Bush used "I" and you use "we".
Did you ever hear that old Lone Ranger joke where they get attacked
by a band of Indians?  The Lone Ranger says "looks like we are in
trouble Tonto".  Tonto's reply "what you mean we Lone Ranger?".
Perhaps he knows that although most everyone in the world is
horrified by this attack and the loss of human life, not everyone
agrees with the direction that he wants to take.  But to many,
voicing that concern suddenly makes one unpatriotic, a liberal patsy
and/or other choice names.  But that right to speak freely and to
disagree is one of the cornerstones of this country.  It is NOT
unpatriotic to disagree with the policy or directions that this
country and it's leadership takes at any time.  Period.

There are always many agendas that come into play to make up the big
picture.  With the current state of the economy, a war could help
boost the economy right now.  It could also take people's attention
away from the economy.  Given some of the lies, subterfuge and
falling away from a number of campaign promises that Bush has
committed in his limited history so far, one might  wonder about
ulterior motives.  Or you can just be a blind "patriot" and accept
everything your told at face value.  There seems to be a lot of
people who have suddenly come out of the woodwork, waving flags,
spewing BS but having little or no knowledge of politics, government
or world affairs.  Some of these people are even guilty of attacking
and killing people merely because they look Middle Eastern.  Yes, we
have our own terrorist, racist, anti-Semitic problems also.  Perhaps
we should put more into solving those also?

3. I fully support ridding the world of terrorism.  But there are
different ways to approach this task and in fact, it may not be
something that anyone can do, even the almighty USA, despite whatever
rhetoric is thrown at the issue.  I just don't think we are going to
succeed at that task by invading or bombing Afghanistan.  Why weren't
we waging this war years ago?  And don't bring up Clinton's policies
because we could have been trying to stop terrorism during Reagan or
GHB's terms.  It's interesting how the Bush team and much of the
world was applying pressure to stop Israel from going after and
killing the terrorists afflicting their country.

But now that our own homeland has suffered a terrorist incident, it's
suddenly all right to mobilize the armed forces, possibly restrict
civil liberties in the name of this war while chasing down and
killing terrorists, isn't it?  Suddenly, "the sleeping giant" has
woken and is now going to solve this major problem that has been
vexing the rest of the world for too many years?  Forgive me for
being just a bit skeptical.  Hell, we couldn't even stop the
terrorists from entering and leaving this country whenever they
wanted, from getting on airplane after airplane until they decided to
drive into a building with one.

4. Regardless of how people and countries feel in the heat of this
moment, there is a strong likelihood that significant military action
in the Mideast could destabilize the area.  We may wind up with no
oil and fighting one billion Muslims.  Past history shows that
coalitions change over time and initial support and anger by people
in the USA will whittle away as time marches on and the casualties
come home with no appreciable progress in the crusade.  This is
reality.  It's not going to be any different now, any more than the
new economy was.  You can't change human nature.

We failed in Iraq (Hussein is still in power and the people are still
under his oppressed rule), we failed in Vietnam, losing many lives
there, spent much money and creating great divisiveness in this
county for many years.  I hear Bush and others talking about a "long"
war just like 'nam.  I hear people talking about hand-to-hand combat
as if it's some video game, which it is most assuredly not.  Didn't
we learn anything at all from our past experiences in 'nam or those
of the British and Russia in Afghanistan?    We can't use cruise
missiles or aerial bombing for there's little left to bomb in
Afghanistan!  The country is covered with mines from the Russian
war.  The only way we can take out Afghanistan is to neutron bomb it,
something that hopefully, even Bush won't do.

You know by now that the Afghans stopped the Russians who threw
everything they had against them for 10 long years.  There is a comic
running on the editorial page of the  local paper here (SF Chronicle)
that is very apropos.  It's got a picture of a stone, another stone,
a bigger stone, a little stone, one stone on top of another finally a
stone in a cross hairs.  The caption is labeled "Searching for
targets in Afghanistan" with a side caption of "Just find the one
he's under".  We've had a $5 million price on Bin Laden's head for
years.  No one has yet to collect and we haven't been able to find
him on our own.

Finally, are we going to go after the IRA and other terrorist groups
also?  The Brits haven't been very successful at clearing up that
situation.  Or is this just going to apply to Muslim terrorists,
specifically those hanging out in Afghanistan now?

No one really knows how this war will be waged, not even the
government.  Or perhaps this is all rhetoric and after an appropriate
period of mourning, nothing at all will happen.  But
blind "patriotism" like so many are calling for these days will only
lead us to places we don't want to go.  This is not 1941.  It's not
the same country nor the same world.  I'll end this with two quotes
which I hope make some sense.

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary
dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow."
-Anais Nin, The Diaries of Anaïs Nin

"I love America more than any other country in this world, and,
exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her
perpetually."
-James Baldwin, Notes of a Native Son

-----
JW

--- In realtraders@xxxx, "Dorothy K. Carter" <dorothy.carter@xxxx>
wrote:
Dear Me:  If you had listend to the discussions after his speech.. the
pundits mentioned that on several occasions you could see Bush get
teary
eyed...(Isn't that emotion?) He is supportive of all religions and all
people   The pundits also understand that as the President of the
United
States he has ultimate say and in charge of armed forces and that as
long as
he is resolute that everyone else will be.. I hope  you will rally
behind
the President to support this large task.  As one of the NY
politicians said
(obviously not Hillary) that Bush had supported NY fully more than
they had
anticipated as NY did not vote for Bush.  This politician told
someone who
was raising the same question that you are  the following:   After
the first
WTC bombing in which only a hand full of people died and we did
nothing.
Now with this attack 6000+ are dead.. next time it could be chemical
warefare with millions dead.... we have to act.. we have no choice. I
am
sorry for preaching to you  like this but ..... We as Americans have
got to
stick together and rally behind this President rather you voted for
him or
now and be greatful that he has the strong cabinet he has to meet and
overcome this challenge.. I would strongly suggest to you that you
can't do
as you suggest and be a sitting duck as doing nothing guarantees more
terrorist attacks with millions of body bags........It should be
obvious
that if the world does not support this effort to wipe out terrorism
that
Western Civilization as we know it will not exist in 10 yrs..  OK I
will try
to bite my tongue and only post market tradeable information .....
Best,
:-)    :-)    Dorothy

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MDsVHB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/zMEolB/TM