Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

From: "Bob Heisler" <bheisler@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: [RT] Mentors:What makes a good Mentor

> "A truly accomplished trader, if he is really well-meaning and only
> motivated
> by helping others, would not charge a dime, because he can make all that
> tuition money and more with his eyes closed, in the markets.
> Otherwise, you are not a noble mentor out to help your fellow less
> accomplished traders, you are just a business proprietor in the business
of
> "teaching", "instructor", or "tutor"."
>
> This is pure bunk.  First, why is this truly accomplished trader obligated
> to give his knowledge to you for free?  You mentioned you spent 15 years
> learning your craft...do you work for free?  And if so, how do then make a
> living?

Bob,

I am not saying that anybody is OBLIGATED to give his knowledge to me for
free.
What I am saying is, if a truly accomplished trader CHOOSES to help other
less accomplished traders only out of his good heart, only to help them,
only to seek the satisfaction of giving something back, then he would NOT do
this for any monetary consideration, and he would not charge a dime, because
he wouldn't really need that money, he could make maybe 100 times more
trading in the markets for a tiny fraction of the hassles and time spent
teaching others.

Otherwise, you are just an instructor, you are charging a legitimate fee for
your legitimate teaching services that you provide, you are in the
"teaching" business. You are NOT a great trader who is only motivated by
helping others out of your good heart and nothing else. Please don't
pretend! (I don't mean you personally, "you" in general :-))

And I am not calling ALL the "tutors", "instructors", whatever, out there
charlatans, although there are quite a few out there.

I spent 15 years learning trading. That is my craft now. I make my living
trading full time.
I don't have any bosses or customers, I work for myself, so does that make
me work for "free"?
I don't know. You be the judge.
With my experience, know-how, and relative success, I can easily start a
"teaching" business, write & market a "system", or publish a newsletter. But
I don't. I figure my time and efforts are much better utilized, and much
more rewarded (monetarily & otherwise) if I stuck to trading and trading
only.
But I definitely am planning to "mentor" a few deserving souls (starting
with my son ofcourse :-)) in the future when I have fully reached my
personal goals and I have the time & resources, and it'll all be for FREE, I
assure you.

Regards,

Levent