Re: [RT] [Fwd: Virus in Emails]

On Tuesday, April 17, 2001, 7:06:34 AM, Jeffrey Harteam wrote:

JH> I am not even sure how this thing spreads around the group.

It is likely that he has harvested addresses from one or more lists -
very easy to do, especially with Yahoo.

JH> This guy's last name is "Orlandino".

How did you determine this?

JH> I can assure to all the traders and moderator on this list that
JH> Mr. Steve Carton is not the real target of this malicious deed.

You are probably right. The structure, language, and bait of the
'Kris' and 'Carlton' messages were virtually identical. It is
beginning to look as though we are dealing with a moderately
sophisticated hacker who might be able to 'spoof' addresses of list
members. The attachment I received appeared to be at least doubly
hidden to avoid virus scanners. If he is a bit sophisticated, he might
be able to alter or disguise a virus to avoid detection - depends on
how determined he is to target list members.

It would seem that he has been quite active with list members. He
apparently has a real axe to grind regarding traders. :-) It might be
wise to be VERY CAUTIOUS about ALL mail you are receiving. If you must
look at an attachment, consider using a viewer that does NOT execute
ANY M$ code (eg Quickview). If using Outlook or OE, you must be extra
careful. You might consider another mailer that is more secure. :-)

And, finally, if EVERYONE used TEXT ONLY, we would avoid some of the
risks.

ztrader