Re: Learning how to trade and paying people to divulge their "knowhow"

<x-html><HTML>
I left school barely before reaching 18.&nbsp; My first job on a trading
desk was fetching coffees for the other traders and doing their general
grunt work.&nbsp; There was one guy who eventually became my mentor and
gave me some valuable real life lessons treated my like shit for over a
year.&nbsp; Nobody sat me on their knee and read me the abc of trading.&nbsp;
Nobody taught me what a futures contract was.&nbsp; Nobody taught me the
difference between a market and limit order and slippage in a fast market.&nbsp;
Not because they didn't want to - it was the way they learnt and besides
on a bank trading desk, TRADER's DON'T HAVE TIME TO TEACH.&nbsp; (Think
about this statement when a "trader" offers to spend 5 full days lecturing
or teaching privately....). Everything I learnt while on the steepest bit
of that damned learning curve was through watching and asking questions
(at the right time - try asking a trader a question just after an employment
figure.....you're likely to get a half chewed bit of bigmac spat unintentionally
in your direction..... I am speaking from experience here!).

<P>I lived, eat, breathed and slept markets for 2 years (with only 3 days
of vacation &amp; 2 of sick leave) before I was given full responsibility
for a trading book.&nbsp; During my time of working for a bank I generally
arrived at my desk at 6:30am and usually did not leave until after 7pm
(I was in London so I basically arrived at around the time Tokyo was winding
down and stayed until NY was close to going home).&nbsp;&nbsp; During my
2yrs of "tuition" I had 10-15 traders around me from whom I absorbed as
much info as I could; some of whom had been trading for 10+ years.

<P>I am not knocking a formal education - don't get me wrong.&nbsp; I wish
I had gone to University and stuff.&nbsp; What I am saying is that learning
how to trade effectively is a real life experience which can only be taught
through experience itself.&nbsp;&nbsp; That's why I am against approaches
like paper trading for beginners- it just instills a false sense of security,
emphasises reward and downplays risk and losses and the negative effect
losses can have on the psyche and hence on future trades.&nbsp; You can
paper trade, but only to test new strategies while trading for real.<I></I>

<P>Think about when you learnt to drive a car.&nbsp; You probably watched
a parent drive for years before seeking instruction.&nbsp; Then you listened
to the instruction and then you got behind the wheel <I>with the instructor
at your side</I>. You only went out on your own when you were competant
enought to drive by yourself (and of course had your license).

<P>You must be realistic when trying to run up that learning curve. Don't
believe so called guru's if they tell you your performance will be improved
by following his/her methods.

<P>I guess if you are unable to adopt either of the 2 approaches I outlined
in my earlier posting then what I would recommend for a beginner is to
read as much as you can.&nbsp; Not about "trading" per se but about markets
in general.&nbsp; Don't go out and buy a book on how to predict future
turning points in markets or about fractals&nbsp; Get a good book on laymans
economics.&nbsp; Read Market Wizards.&nbsp; Read interviews with the "big
traders".&nbsp; Read about the fixed income markets.&nbsp; Read about currencies.&nbsp;
Read about derivative pricing.&nbsp; Read the "classical texts" such as
Reminicences (sp?).&nbsp; Read Niederhoffers book (even though he went
bust, his book is full of wisdom).&nbsp; And if you want to learn how to
control losses - read a good book of gambling.&nbsp; Learn to play poker.&nbsp;
Read about portfolio management.&nbsp; If you want to learn about technical
analysis - get some of the oldest books you can find - forget those on
the bestseller list.&nbsp; The best traders around at the moment have been
trading for many, many years - they didn't have anywhere near the resources
that are available now and yet they are still the best.&nbsp; Markets do
not change - people do as do their perceptions.

<P>Good learning to all.

<P>E.
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Lionel Issen wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>There have been relatively very few self made millionaires
with a college
<BR>education.&nbsp; Neither Michael Dell nor Bill Gates have college degrees.

<P>Lionel Issen

<P>-----Original Message-----
<BR>From: Richard Estes &lt;rtestes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<BR>To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx &lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<BR>realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx &lt;realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<BR>Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 1:22 PM
<BR>Subject: Re: Learning how to trade and paying people to divulge their
<BR>"knowhow"

<P>>
<BR>>You sound like the type that came out of the womb trading. There sure
<BR>aren't
<BR>>many of those around.
<BR>>
<BR>>Richard Estes
<BR>>
<BR>>
<BR>>-----Original Message-----
<BR>>From: Essan Soobratty &lt;trader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<BR>>To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx &lt;realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
<BR>>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx &lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<BR>>Date: Thursday, July 16, 1998 12:18 PM
<BR>>Subject: Learning how to trade and paying people to divulge their
"knowhow"
<BR>>
<BR>>
<BR>>>It amazes me how many people once they have "decided" that they want
<BR>>>trade will then fork out many $$ in an attempt to learn various
<BR>>>techniques.
<BR>>>
<BR>>
<BR>>