Trading System Design-choppiness index

Realtraders:

I would like to know if anyone has a method for determining or
evaluating the choppiness of the market in order to determine a
choppiness index.  This will be to switch the trading system from say a
volatility breakout to a trend following system when a strong trend
comes underway.  I would like the system to be predominantly a
volatility breakout of say some fraction of the 3 day average true range
from the prior days high and low. This system would exit either on the
next days open or within a week at a specified target.  What I have seen
with these systems though is they do not do anything to catch the larger
moves because you are exiting on strength.   My idea is to add a
choppiness index so that if choppiness is low, to switch to a longer
term channel breakout.

I have read in the secrets of the master's book that Randy Stuckey uses
such an index to switchover catscan.

Any Help from System Designers greatly appreciated.

Paul Cote