Re: Trading System Design-choppiness index

Isn't this just another attempt to find a holy grail indicator ?

well not so much a holy grail indicator as a holy grail system, yes! Of
course!

Is it also going to

> tell you what is going to happen next ?

I don't think that is possible, so rather would like to know early when
the trend has begun.  I suppose channel breakout is the earliest signal
that a trend has begun (or is it the volatility break out? naah, too
early), unfortunately there are many false channel breakouts.  The
proposed ADX as a trend indicator may be able to be added into the
system to help show that a trend is underway.  It is not so important to
enter the trend right at the beginning.  If it is a true trend, it may
be ok to enter a bit late.

It is just an idea.  If you already have a non holy grail system that is
providing you great results, I would be interested.

I have traded a volatility breakout system before.  The good thing about
volatility breakout is that you have a relatively high percentage of
winning trades.  Another good thing is that it doesn't leave you with a
trade that is not performing, although in a sense you are "in the
market" every day because you have your stops in ready to catch the
breakout.  Unfortunately however the average profit per trade is too
low. When I traded the volatility breakout, I noticed that there were
many times that I was taking profits while the market was taking off
like a rocket.

I would like a system that can also catch those large moves in addition
to taking the small chunks. Maybe there is a different way to make a
hybrid of a volatility breakout and a trend following system?  Another
idea is to incorporate pivots so that the system takes volatility
breakouts that exit with say the first profitable exit, unless they take
out a pivot, in which case you hold for a longer period of time?

Paul Cote