Re: Technical-Seasonal Trading

  • To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Technical-Seasonal Trading
  • From: Rod Smith <rsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:03:19 -0800 (PST)

At 02:24 PM 2/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Rod,
>
>Would you be good enough to share with us your system?

My initial filter is the monthly Moore report trades and I only enter a
trade in a two week window before or after the optimized entry date. For a
long position the 21day ema must be trending up and I buy a breakout of the
previous two day high following a retracement. I use a $350 stop and get
stopped into a spread. At $600 total loss I exit the position but will
reenter if the initial conditions are met again during the time window.
Once a position becomes profitable I dont close it until the future has a
close below the 21day ema. I ignore the optimized exit date. Same
proceedure is used for positions entered as spreads. I buy a breakout of a
retracement. Futures traded are grains, soybeans and products, meats except
PB, heating oil, unleaded gas, sugar, cocoa, and eurodollars. Do spread
trades of all of the above plus interest rate futures. I learned the hard
way not to trade currencies or intercurrency spreads with my account size.
Too many very adverse overnight moves. This past year I have had about 60%
losers 35% small wins and 5% big wins where all the money is made. This
system is basically outlined in Seasonals and Spread Trading by Joe Ross. I
modified it to suit my
temperment and account size.

Rod Smith