To: "Bob Fulks" <bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Omega-List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 4:33 PM
Subject: Re[2]: TradersStudio?

TS2ki and TS4 are obsolete and I'm sure TS8 is great.  I would simply
like to use 8 but not Tradestation data.  I like choices.

You are dead on about learning to program.  The poor newbies actually
thought Easy Language would be easy.  Well it kind of is but building
a useful code is not so easy with my abilities and I would expect many
of the newbies that bought it also and are buying TS8 now.  Many
newbies want it all for no effort.

Jimmy

Monday, January 17, 2005, 11:13:00 AM, you wrote:

BF> At 11:11 PM 1/16/2005, you wrote:

Has anyone tried or knows anything about TradersStudio?

If it works and is even just equal to TradeStation, I would think
they would have a big market as long as TradeStation codes can
really be used and the charting and system testing is good and they
keep it updated at a reasonable cost and don't change something in
the updates so what you have now will not work without some extra
programming.
BF> Creating an application like TradeStation would require tens
BF> of man-years of effort so it is unlikely that TradersStudio is
BF> even 5% of TradeStation. Of course, if that is the 5% you like and
BF> use, you might find it to be OK.

That is one thing I never understood about TradeStation..  They
marketed it to the newbie and made upgrades as if all users were
programmers and enjoyed programming for fun ...
BF> The idea of products like TradeStation was to allow you to
BF> create and backtest your trading ideas before trying them with
BF> real money. If you think you can do this without learning some
BF> programming you are fooling yourself.

...and left some users stranded on some products.
BF> Software is not a "product" like a TV set. It is a "service"
BF> that requires continuous updates and support that you should
BF> expect to pay for. You are only "stranded" if you choose not to
BF> upgrade. It is your fault, not theirs.

BF> All software requires upgrades from time to time as the
BF> operating systems and data formats change. It is surprising that
BF> old versions such as TS4 and TS2000i still work at all on current
BF> OS versions. How anybody can expect to be using the same software
BF> version year after year without installing upgrades is beyond me.
BF> Would you still be using the 1999 version of your virus checking
BF> software?

BF> And the features of the newer versions are much, much better
BF> than the old versions. Occasionally, I have to fire up TS2000i to
BF> look at some old data and find that it sure seems obsolete by TS8
BF> standards...

There are many who still use the stand alone TradeStation and
probably would never go to the brokerage system.

--
Best regards,
Jimmy mailto:jhsnowden@xxxxxxxxxxxxx