Re: TradersStudio?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Fulks" <bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: TradersStudio?

At 11:11 PM 1/16/2005, you wrote:

Has anyone tried or knows anything about TradersStudio?

If it works and is even just equal to TradeStation, I would think they would have a big market as long as TradeStation codes can really be used and the charting and system testing is good and they keep it updated at a reasonable cost and don't change something in the updates so what you have now will not work without some extra programming.
Creating an application like TradeStation would require tens of man-years of effort so it is unlikely that TradersStudio is even 5% of TradeStation. Of course, if that is the 5% you like and use, you might find it to be OK.
Was just asking about TradersStudio, Have no idea if it is 1% or 101% of TradeStation. Too many good trading software packages out there, to worry much about it. I was just wondering about TradersStudio.
I use TradeStation and like tradestation. But, I will have to admit. If I was starting new and had no programming codes already wrote. I would not buy TradeStation now as a new trader. I am sure they get new customers everyday, but I can't understand why a new trader, just starting out, would go with TradeStation.

That is one thing I never understood about TradeStation.. They marketed it to the newbie and made upgrades as if all users were programmers and enjoyed programming for fun ...
The idea of products like TradeStation was to allow you to create and backtest your trading ideas before trying them with real money. If you think you can do this without learning some programming you are fooling yourself.
I agree with this and that is why I got it years ago and still use it. But, it was them that were fooling new traders. They are the ones that advertised, that no programming needed. Any new trader can just describe any thing they want to try. EASY LANGUAGE!
But, as I said. I like it and use it.

...and left some users stranded on some products.
Software is not a "product" like a TV set. It is a "service" that requires continuous updates and support that you should expect to pay for. You are only "stranded" if you choose not to upgrade. It is your fault, not theirs.
That's the problem. They won't offer updates or support for the super charts or TradeStation 4 users at any price. Of course they would be glad to pay for support. We can just be glad Auto mechanics don't do as Omega did.
And of course going from Super Charts to TradeStation 4 was not an upgrade. It was a totally new product. The same with 4.0 to 2000i and 2000i to the brokerage web system.

All software requires upgrades from time to time as the operating systems and data formats change. It is surprising that old versions such as TS4 and TS2000i still work at all on current OS versions. How anybody can expect to be using the same software version year after year without installing upgrades is beyond me. Would you still be using the 1999 version of your virus checking software?
LOL! The virus software I use automaticly upgrades at basicly the same or close to the same price each year. CHEAP. Wish omega did that way back when system writer was started. That would have been great.
As far as the OS. That is why I am so glad Microsoft controlls that market. If not, I am sure most software packages that work this year would never be able to work next year.

And the features of the newer versions are much, much better than the old versions. Occasionally, I have to fire up TS2000i to look at some old data and find that it sure seems obsolete by TS8 standards...
It should look obsolete. Some said it was obsolete when compared to TradeStation 4.

There are many who still use the stand alone TradeStation and probably would never go to the brokerage system.
You do not have to use the TradeStation brokerage to use TradeStation 8.
Thanks for this info. I actually didn't know that. I will have to see what they offer as a stand along software that parts of it is not on some server somewhere. If the price is similar to the older programs, I may look into it.
Thanks again for that info.

Bob Fulks