Re: Connection via Cell phone vs. PCM card

I have used datacomms via cell phone and datacomms
via direct PCMCIA card, in my opinion go for the
PCMCIA card every time.

I used a IR connection not a direct cable, but
the same rules apply, you have to keep the phone
near the PC while online, which means to need to
be somewhere you can spread out and not be bumped,
so being near people or on anything moving it out
for the cell phone.  With the cell phone you have
two sets of batteries to worry about, also keep in
mind cell phones are not designed to transmit
continuously for long periods of time and data can
not only make the phone get hot, it will draw the
battery very fast, not to mention you've got three
things to look after, notebook, cable & phone.

The PCMCIA solution will draw your battery when
in use, though your notebook battery should be
substantially larger than your cell phone.
Remember to remove all PCMCIA cards when not in use,
as even stand by will be consuming battery.

Try and hit your telco up for a dual phone/data
SIM (if your on the GSM network) and save yourself
double monthly rental.

Justin

---

JTraDer421 wrote:

Hello all,

Was just wondering if anyone can confirm (or point me too some information
related too) that connecting to a wireless ISP via a cell phone USB
connection is not as good as having a PCM card directly connected to your
laptop......?

I'm new to this area of connectivity.

Specifically, I am using Verizon Express Network via my Motorola v120e phone
and was thinking about upgrading to the AirPrime PC 5220 pcm card.

Verizon tech support said there would be NO difference between connection
speeds. However, I spoke to someone who made an argument about the BAUD
being limited via the USB port....???!!! I'm not certain what relevance that
has and am looking for any confirmation.

Any info would be great.....

Thanks

JTraDer421