another off topic - no antivirus on backtesting machine ?

Hi,

How silly is this;

No antivirus software on an offline machine that only connects to the
internet for a minute or so each day to grab EOD downloads. Anything
else transfered to the machine is scanned in one of the other machines
first.

The connection is via cable thorough a hardware firewall that has
specific rules for only 'port forwarding to the ports/IP addresses
required' This firewall has the following features;
ICSA certified, True Firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI)
and Intrusion Detection Denial of Service (DoS) attack protection and
VPN pass-through Built-in Print Server and Network Address Translation
(NAT) Routing

 I'm loathsome to risk the speeds I'm getting. eg; for a typical EOD
 distribution :-
 #1  win98 pentium11 233                 4.11 minutes  (with Norton)
 #2  win2000 dell w/station dual P3-866  3.86 minutes  (with Norton)
 #3  winXP with all the bells & whistles   23 seconds

 just don't know whether Norton (even when turned off) slows things
 down and /or throws bugs into not so well coded programs - the 99 $
 Qu ?

--
Best regards,
 jon                          mailto:jonmac@xxxxxxxxxxx