Re: QuantStudio

From: "DH" <catapult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Omega List" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: QuantStudio

> > That would be true if you were comparing softwares that both accurately
did
> > their work.
>
> > It is when you start using it as a SYSTEM TESTING Platform
> > does it become a danger to your pocket book.
>
> That's a rather extreme point of view.

It is a view that has been formed from usign different flavors of TS over
ten years.

> Yes, there are some gotchas you need to be aware of when using TS for
> system building, testing and trading. However, they pale in comparison
> to the potential gotchas of using something like C to build a system
> "from scratch."

I couldn't disagree more. When I have program in C, I can at least single
step through the code to see how and where bugs are occuring. Try that with
TS. It is amazing to me that people can even talk about a programming
environment without having a debugger to "single step" through the code. I
can give you five different situations where TS is simply doing buggy things
(as of TS2000i.)

Further, I am not building a C system from "scratch," but rather from a set
of highly integrated Component Oriented libraries that is supported by a
community of other programmes, thereby hopefully, through mutual self
interest, we help to debug and push the software towards more and more
correctness. Because TS is a black box, the "programmer" community has
little chance of efficiently helping it move forward in debugging it.

>Most of the gotchas have nothing to do with TS but
> rather with having a thorough understanding of how to properly build and
> test a system. If you can't figure out how to make TS work (it's really
> pretty simple), I seriously doubt you'll do any better with a more
> complex tool. More likely, you'll just dig yourself a deeper hole.

LOL, that is funny. I guess all of us with Computer Science degrees couldn't
make even simple (by our measures) programs work reliably in TS. That is why
we spent close to a million dollars getting building a tool that tests
hundreds of systems in realtime over hundreds of millions of ticks over a
cluster.

> Now, if you understand how to use TS properly and find you need more
> power than it offers, that's another matter. Then it's time to shop
> elsewhere.

Using TS "properly" for system building on a scale of something other than
trivial systems is a complete nightmare. I am talking about TS2000i. have
not used TS 7.x, perhaps they have improved the software somewhat. But I
have sworn off  a program that does not allow me to step into code and see
what is happening.

TS still is a good prototyping tool. But that is where it stays in my
"toolbox/"

Ivan