Re[2]: Off Topic - build new PC

Many thanks to the thoughts and replies on building a PC last week.
Had problems since, including my cable being down (still down), but in
particular its not easy considering what avenue to go with computers,
considering the querying considerations and suggestions put by

Volker,
       the Deltatronic.de site was interesting, especially the fanless
       concept for noise reduction. Too expensive though.

Jimmy Snowden
      Yes there is GST on imports to Aus (but not exports - was good
      when selling lots of my photographic gear into the US when A$
      below and about US$0.50). So far my pricing for building
      something from local parts would be around 30% cheaper than a
      comparable Dell. My existing 2 are both Dell's and I've enjoyed
      their fantastic service & warranty. But, no longer affordable!

Mike Ball
     The dual Xeon seems good. I wonder how it would 'rack up' against
     a faster AMD64 or P4 with 'hyperthreading' ?

Marc Miller
     I don't get a feed on any US markets here in Aus. Only EOD, and
     snapshots from Genesis. For Aus feed I use Marketcast braadcast
     for ASX & SFE only. Part of the reason for upgrading is that
     sometime 'soon' Marketcast are transmitting their data
     compressed, which'll be a burden 'this' end.

Ross Bond
     Thanks. I'm working on many of your suggestions. Also found
     another supplier here on the Coast with good prices - waiting to
     here of their suppy though. Two boxes that I'm considering for
     quietness & cooling are Antec Sonata & Thermaltake V2000.

David Jennings
      Be very interested to know more about your ASUS setup and why
      you recommended not going with it?

Justin Fanning.
       Shall be taking your advice on getting parts locally to build a
       new box. Except for upgrading RDRAM on existing Dell
       workstation. Dell Aus quoted today over A$2200 for a gig. This
       is very differnet to the internet pricing from Dell in US (only
       2 slots , and I have 1x256 & 1x128 - both will be useless. So
       ebay (US) seem to be the source for this gear).

       While my eyes are disintergrating each day, LCD monitors are on
       hold. Betya I'm out of here by 63 - the count down begins/has
       begun (hopefully with latitude at zero - bump into things
       enough as is).

       Ah! soft BIOS (with ABIT). Whats the difference?

Amid the confusion, lies probably my biggest dilemma - backing up. For
along time I've been using ghost to make images of the drive.
Found restore to work well from these. But its been from a single
drive to another single drive via a removable cage. Guessing my biggest
risk is from electrical storms or spikes, then hd failure, then theft,
it has been comforting to have backups off and away from the machine.
But with RAID-0, where does one go? Norton, while not supporting RAID
say it could work with some devices. Are there other backup programs
being used successfully with making images or clones of drives (ie:
not using RAID-1 as backup)?

Much appreciated

--
Best regards,