off topic: win 2k stack overflow errors

Any of the tech wizards out there know how I might go about curing stack
overflow problems with win 2k and TS4? I have no idea how to begin dealing
with wait states, bios tuning, etc.

See particulars below in my correspondence with the amazingly helpful DB of
Dynastore.

Thanks,
Chris

> I have isolated the problem now. If I am downloading data via
> dynastore downloader in the background with ts running, and after its
done, I
> then highlight the dynastore program, and when I click on
> the "download is done" OK box, TS and server disappear and I get the
> following message:
>
> NTVDM.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows... An
> error log is being created.
>
> It does not matter if TS is minimized or not. Clicking on the
> dynastore downloader box triggers the problem. I just did it several
> times in a row.
>
> Any ideas what it means or
> what to do about it?
>
> Thanks for any insight!!!
>
> Chris

Chris,

NTVDM.exe is a Virtual Machine that runs 16-bit applications (for example
Omega Server and Tradestation 4). 32-bit applications like Dynastore are
running in protected memory and this memory does not cross with those
assigned by NTVDM for 16-bit programs - this is how Windows is working.

The "download is done" message box is just a result of a call of standard
Windows function ("MessageBox") made by Dynastore to show you that the
download process is completed and there is nothing special in Dynastore code
related to this call.

So it's more like that when after clicking OK in one program the next system
(Windows') call to the code of another program (Omega Server, which is
16-bit app and is running in the NTVDM memory space), this call crashes
NTVDM (the actual reason of the crash is "stack overflow"), i.e. the stack
assigned to NTVDM (and to 16-bit programs) does not able to handle the
nasted calls correctly. This may happen due to several reasons including
better RAM requirement or "wait states" tuning in BIOS - in any way this is
not directly related to one of the programs, but rather to the combination
of programs and events that trigger the critical state.

I should say that you need to try this combination on another machine (with
another hardware) and check the results.

Regards,
DB